The first Catholic Church in Columbus, Georgia was originally built in 1835 and called St. Philip and James. The parish was relocated to the current site and dedicated on May 12, 1880 and renamed The Church of The Holy Family. The Gothic-Bysantine structure was designed by Daniel Foley who was born in Dublin, Ireland. The Church was built on property given by Sisters of Mercy who relocated from Florida to start a school, called St. Joseph's Academy. Parish Education building, St. Joseph's Hall, is located on site where their convent and school stood from 1870 to 1964. This is only downtown church wiith a grave located on its grounds. Rev. Michael Cullinan, pastor of St. Philip and James was buried here east of main entrance.